What a fab night! I counted 46 people which makes this possibly the largest event we’ve thrown – thanks to all for attending. Sponsored beer, live Qik video, 6 great talks and lively post-event pub conversation – who could ask for a better evening? Josh made this rather excellent panoramic view of us all:
Each of the 6 talks lasted 15 minutes and covered a wide range of geek and tech-business topics:
- ‘Google Maps + GPS + Python + Series 60 + giant pencil == live biking location demo’, Tristan Roddis (CogApp)
- LiquidFold using Google’s App Engine, Simon Willison & Natalie Downe
- “An airport that you can turn-off” – evolvable flight-paths for crash-resistant landing vectors at a major airport, Matt Sarjent
- ‘Pistach.io: a cracking idea! [blog-based advertising platform, new start-up]’, Aral Balkan and Dave Stone
- AllSizes+ – hacking flickr with GreaseMonkey, Premasagar Rose (of Dharmafly)
- ‘Inuda’s first public app [howsociable.com – brand metrics company side-project]… after two years of ‘Innovating’ alongside client work’, Jon Markwell and Kev The Dev
Ribot both sponsored the event (great beer – thanks!) and made live Qik video streams for the evening. I believe these segments are correct:
- Video 1 – quick intro from John and myself
- Video 2 – Tristan’s Python Series 60 demo starts
- Video 3 – Tristan concludes, full talk for Simon and Matt (followed by break)
- Video 4 – Second half – Premasagar, Dave, Jon+Kev
The Ribots also sponsored the beer, they skinned the bottles to show three stages of the design process:
More images can be found tagged in flickr and via the fivepoundapp homepage. If you’ve a question about the night then come join the FivePoundApp google group. Finally – thanks to Danny for hosting and to John for yet more great cake.
Possible talks for the next event could include something about ClearLeft’s SilverBack, a Chumby demo and Seb’s postponed Arduino hardware hacking. I’d love to see some more internal-company demos/start-ups/proto-projects, please ping if you’d be interested in talking.
Addition – great write-up at Ribot HQ, including discussion of how and why they branded their sponsored beer..